About Me

My photo
I'm taking each day a step at a time, searching for my specific niche. I love to meet people, enjoy sports and music, and am known to savor my rum and coke. I usually have an opinion on things but thirst to converse with those that know something different.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mad Lifestyle

Season one was in my stocking from my Sister-in-law. My first reference to this award-winning television series was from my editor at Indianapolis Monthly, who also is an avid fan. So I figured I'd put it on my Christmas list and give it a shot.

After watching season one, I'd have to agree with him.

The concept revolves around the lifestyle of the glitz and glamour of Madison Avenue in the 1960s. Madison Avenue, the Mecca for the advertising world, birthed this American Cultural idea of 'success.' What intrigues me the most is all the ins-and-outs that connotes this image of success.

There is a lot of things that impress me. Historically speaking, Mad Men has won various awards for it's historical authenticity. In other words, it really does depict the social mores and ideals of that era, an era that seems to continually fascinate me.

But just like a good book or speech, there are things that you take away from it, and things that you can do without. The philandering and chain smoking (which every character does both of, constantly) doesn't quite fit this ideal guild. But that's what I choose to overlook and on the other hand, there are a lot of things that do impress me.

I admire how well put together the male characters are. It was a time when men dressed their best. They knew what looked good, and what 'looking good' meant and they implemented it to perfection. For example, Don Draper keeps a stack of the same staple-white-oxford shirt in his office. Why? Because it's the perfect shirt. So he keeps a couple spare (always ironed and ready to wear) in his office.

These creative minds at Sterling and Cooper keep their office bars with ample supply. Whether it's the rye in the Old Fashioned, the cognacs of the Brandy Alexander, or Betty's simple Tom Collins. Each character has their preferred drink, and that's pretty much all they will settle for.

These men were constantly trying to learn more, to achieve more and to be the best at what they did. They read book after book, they wrote articles, they contacted anyone that seemed to be remotely successful. Their daily goal was to improve.

The men of that era knew what they enjoyed and they settled for nothing else. Don Draper, the protagonist of the whole concept is the quintessence of that era. He is a class act. The way he carries himself, his brilliant ideas and just his entire aura.

Somewhere along the path, we, as in my current generation and those on either end of it, have lost that concept. We seem to settle for a lot less. Faded jeans, baseball hats, Polos, Bud Light, the only literature around is Sportscenter. Catch my drift?

Of course, he's not perfect. But there's a lot about him that my peers and I can take notes from.

Now on to season two.

No comments:

Post a Comment