About Me

My photo
I'm taking each day a step at a time, searching for my specific niche. I love to meet people, enjoy sports and music, and am known to savor my rum and coke. I usually have an opinion on things but thirst to converse with those that know something different.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

More Than Words

“Whatever words we utter, should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.” Buddha knew exactly what he was talking about. I think PR and Journalism folk, and most people with common sense, can relate to the enlightened one’s words.

But others, like Chris Brown, need to pay close attention.

As we all know, Brown is in a huge predicament. What he did was horrible and it will take a long time for him to gain the forgiveness and support of his fans. He is working on rebuilding his image and with making public appearances, apologizing on various media outlets and doing his community service (picking up trash), it seems like he’s taking the right steps.

Well, all untill he decided to pick a fight with Oprah. Yes, the billionaire-business-mogul-Oprah. It’s as if Rihanna was not a worthy enough target for Brown, so he decides to climb up a few rungs of the Forbes ladder and choose Oprah. Why would anyone want to anger the world’s (arguably) most influencial woman?

After the Chris Brown debacle, Oprah devoted an episode to domestic violence and condemened Brown’s actions, clearly supporting Rihanna. Brown was upset with Oprah. He expected her to be more supportive considering he appeared on her show and even put on a concert for her school in Africa. When asked about what he thought about the show, he said, “It was a slap in my face.”

Really? Were those the best words Brown could come up with? Did he even think about how appropriate they were? “A slap in my face?” Wow, now those were choice words!

People, including celebrities, have all the right to express their emotions. But why not take the time to filter and polish those words to accurately reflect what you feel? Why not take extra caution when your words are spoken from a public platform and think about how your words fit the context?

This is a simple PR exercise: find the best words to paint the picture. Websters, Shift+F7, Dictionary.com, in today's day and age, there are no excuses. I don't know what Brown's publicists were thinking, and I'm sure this will become a case-study of 'why your celebrity/CEO/spokesperson/brand endorser needs to be prepped before public appearances.'

But, it’s a lesson that we all can learn from. Choose your words wisely. Actions do speak louder than words, but sometimes, words can be pretty loud as well.

2 comments:

  1. I think most people, including myself at times dont think before they speak. Its exactly why in the heat of an arguement were encouraged to step back, calm ourselves, and then decide what we want to say because at that exact moment words can be exchanged that have a profound affect on our own life and the life of someone else. I dont know if I agree that actions speak louder than words, in a Christian sense ya def b/c ppl need to experience Christ not just hear about him but there have been times when what people said stuck with me more than what they did or did not do. I think the bigger issue is how much are we aware that our words and choices affect at least one person around us, every single choice. I think awareness is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chels, thanks for the comment!

    I totally agree that we say regrettable things when in the heat of an argument. However, Brown was in an interview with People.com when he was asked his thoughts on Oprah's show. It was a reflection really.

    And yes, awareness is a big issue (especially when coupled with Religion). A whole different issue that I would like to reflect on soon.

    ReplyDelete