About Me

My photo
I'm taking each day a step at a time, searching for my specific niche. I love to meet people, enjoy sports and music, and am known to savor my rum and coke. I usually have an opinion on things but thirst to converse with those that know something different.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Hey! I'm the new face of Public Relations!"

A very public workout routine with Reggie Bush, drama-filled episodes of Keeping up with the Kardashians and a disappointing run on Dancing with the Stars. Those could be chapter titles of Kim Kardashian’s life.

But turn the page, and here’s a new and equally disastrous story. Kim is creating and executive-producing her new reality TV show that is supposed to “show the ins and outs of the Public Relations world.” The show will star her two friends: Jonathan Cheban and Simon Huck who work for Command Public Relations.

I took a look at the Command Public Relations website. It’s a joke. I also looked up the twitter page of “PR guru,” or “PR powerhouse,” Jonathan Cheban. His posts are full of repetitive exclamation marks “!!!!’s,” “OMG’s”and “LOL’s.” One of his recent posts read: “Don’t be a bore. Be a WHORE!!” (He chose to capitalize it, I just copied it verbatim).

This is just what our industry needs. PR has already been tainted by the nonsensical world of PR that MTV’s PoweR Girls tried to “reflect.” BBC TV then chimed in with Absolutely Famous adding to a ridiculous image of PR. And today, most people think that our most popular PR guru is Samantha Jones!

Kardashian will provide the public with just another means to raise an eyebrow at the thought of Public Relations.

No, a PR professional does not have the glamorous role of rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous. You don’t sleep your way through your client list to seal the deal. It’s not just event planning or crisis consultation for celebrities. If it were, then Dennis Rodman would get my vote to be the next president of PRSA (our professional association).

Sadly, and thanks to Kim Kardashian, most people will continue to think otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. Well at least I have something to look forward to when I graduate and put my marketing/PR degree to good use. All I have to do is use a lot of exclamation points and be a man whore. PR seems so easy now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yepp - then perhaps Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan might use you for their new reality tv show! If so, i'll verbally bash you too, kin or not.

    ReplyDelete